Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Frosted Tomatoes

You just have to try these! They are incredibly easy to make for a very impressive dish. I experienced these at a cocktail party and it took tomatoes to a whole new level of yummy for me.

Most cooks know that a little sugar can really enhance tomatoes by neutralizing their acidity and enhancing their natural sweetness. Salt on tomatoes is pure heaven. Combine the two and make that an herbal salt blend and you have an amazing taste experience.

Are you ready for the recipe?
Frosted Tomatoes

1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
2 Tbsp sugar (yes, granulated sugar)
2 Tbsp Jane's Krazy Mixed-Up Salt

Mix the sugar and salt in a small bowl. Rinse the tomatoes and put into a medium bowl. While the tomatoes are still moist, sprinkle the sugar and salt over them. Toss a few times to coat. Spread on a cookie sheet, piece of parchment, a platter, whatever you have to spread them out so they can dry. The sugar and salt stick better this way. Serve with toothpicks if you are having them as an hors d'oeuvre.

And yes, Jane's is gluten-free. I contacted the company to verify.

Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. I love salt on tomatoes but I've never thought to add a little sugar. I will definitely be trying this.Thanks for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few cherry tomatoes from the summer harvest in the garage, I am going to have to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete