Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Walnut Spread for Veggies

With the holidays coming I have started thinking of the dips I will be taking to all the parties and gatherings. In the next few entries I will share recipes for a couple of bean dips that work really well with veggies and an amazing avocado number that always disappears.

In this post I have included the recipe for a walnut bean spread made with fresh basil. It is so delicious and it is vegan. It is a great dip to bring to a party with a tray of veggie sticks (be sure to label that it contains walnuts). I use it regularly with veggie sticks. I don't love veggies; I eat them because I am an adult and I should. This dip even makes some of my least favorite raw veggies tasty.



Walnut Spread

1 14.5 oz can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
1 C chopped walnuts
1 C lightly packed fresh basil leaves (fresh is crucial)
1/4 C olive oil
2 Tbsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp ea salt and pepper

Drain beans, reserving liquid. In food processor, combine 1/4 C bean liquid with remaining ingredients. Cover and process, scraping down sides and adding liquid as needed to make a smooth mixture. Store in refrigerator 4-5 days (I have kept it for almost 2 weeks as walnuts are a natural preservative).

Yields approximately 2 Cups.



I am certain you can substitute another nut for the walnuts. I love walnuts and I grew up with close family friends that owned nut orchards. I spent many long summer days playing in the orchards as a child. I have never tried to sub the walnuts because the flavors in the recipe blend so well together; the walnuts do not take over. I look forward to hearing about the results if you try something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment