Thursday, November 19, 2009

Amazing Avacado Dip


This dip is soooo delicious. Amongst my friends it is known as THE Dip or Da Dip.

Every time I take it to a party I make a triple batch and it always disappears. It is sort of like guacamole...but not. Think guacamole with a Mediterranean make-over. It has the earthy creaminess from the avocados, an acidic tang from the tomatoes and vinegar, a salty-sour note from the feta, zip from the onion and garlic and a final harmonious note from the oregano.

I used to enjoy it with pita chips, but it is equally good with corn chips. Make some for your next holiday event and watch everyone swooon.

This recipe is for a single batch and I have to laugh because a) I haven't followed the recipe in ages as it is memorized and b) I always double or triple this amount.



The Dip


1 avocado, diced
2 Roma tomatoes diced (any low-juice tomato will work)
1/4 C chopped purple onion
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 Tbsp minced fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tbsp red wine vinegar
2 oz. crumbled feta

Put it all together!!! Have your bag of chips handy because now you need to adjust for taste. This is the hard part: taste, adjust, taste, adjust (you get the idea). I frequently find myself adding a little more vinegar. I don't find this needs salt as it gets plenty from the feta.

If you prefer your avocado chunky, be very gentle when mixing. If you want more of a guacamole consistency, stir with reckless abandon. :)

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I prefer the bowl with a spoon- da dip is so, so, so very good!

    ReplyDelete