Friday, May 8, 2009

Gluten-free Starbucks




I was out running errands yesterday when I came dangerously close to a drive-thru Starbucks. Since I knew the afternoon coma would be hitting I couldn't help but pull in and order my favorite tall cappucino. Then I remembered that Starbucks had released their individually wrapped, gluten-free Velencia Orange Cake. There was no mention of it on the drive-thru menu board so I had to ask. Sure enough, they had them. I immediatly requested one and began anticipating a new GF taste experience. The cake came wrapped in cellophane to prevent any cross contamination from all the other baked goods that I used to enjoy.

Back at the office, I sat down and unwrapped my new goody. Because the cake was fairly moist I decided to use a fork, but it wasn't so moist that I couldn't enjoy eating it by hand. The first bite was delicious! It was less orange-y than I had anticipated, but had enough flavor for a pleasant citrus tang. It was incredibly moist and smooth in my mouth. There was none of that grittiness that sometimes comes along with GF baked goods. I could hardly wait for my next bite...and the next and the next. In fact, it was so delicious that I finished it off far too quickly. Well done Starbucks! I will return for another when I feel I need a quick pick me up. And at at a cost of $1.95, it shouldn't break my bank.

Of course, I do need to remember that gluten-free does NOT mean calorie free. Here is the nutritonal info from the Starbucks' website:

Nutrition Facts:
Calories - 290
Total Fat - 16g
Saturated Fat - 2g
Trans Fat - 0g
Sodium - 40 mg
Total Carbohydrate - 32g
Dietary Fiber - 4g

Ingredients:
Whole Eggs
Valencia Orange Pulp
Almonds
Sugar
Orange Peel
Gluten-Free Baking Powder
Orange Oil

Thank you Starbucks! Now...can you make something GF and chocolate????

3 comments: