Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Chipotle Mexican Grill

Oh my gosh, it has been too long! Life just keeps getting in the way: sick kid, sick computer, another sick kid, big important meetings at work....excuses, all of them. And now, my DH is going in for spinal surgery in a week. Things are just crazy around here.

Stick with me though. I have lots of GF stories to tell. I just have to find time...

We had a Chipotle Mexican Grill open in our town this week. I am so happy! I ate there two days in a row and didn't seem to have any kind of reaction.

Both days I had a Bowl. It is basically the same things that would put on a burrito, without the tortillas. It had some yummy lime-cilantro rice, black beans, carnitas, fresh tomato salsa, sour cream and cheese. I also at the guacamole and chips. Yum!

I did some homework before I went so I felt confidant I knew how to avoid gluten. I easily found a list of ingredients that contain wheat and other allergens. They supposedly have some gluten information on their website, but I wasn't able to find it. When I emailed the company they quickly responded with the information that is on their website:

"Most people wanting to avoid gluten can eat anything we serve except for our wheat burrito tortillas, our soft wheat taco tortillas, and possibly our hot red tomatillo salsa (there is a small amount of distilled vinegar in it which some gluten-oriented websites still say might be problematic, although most don't).

Everything else is fine to eat for most people wanting to avoid gluten, including our crispy corn tacos, our corn chips, and our burrito bowls (no tortilla). However, you should know that it's possible our corn may have a small amount of gluten from potentially co-mingling with gluten-containing grains in the field.

If you are highly sensitive and would like us to change our gloves, we would be happy to do that at your request. Additionally, because our folks work with wheat tortillas all day long, there may be the possibility of cross-contact in our restaurants. We encourage you to carefully consider your dining choices."

This was all okay for me as I don't seem to have problems with small amounts of cross-contamination. I had no intestinal distress, aches and pains, rashes, etc. Although I did just learn that I may be causing harm without symptoms (read this post by Melanie at "The Gluti Girls...and a Guy!). I have friends that would avoid it completely.

So, if your body can take the risk of a little cross-contamination I highly recommend Chipotle Mexican Grill .

Now, I am going to get back to my crazy life. Do any of you have suggestions for getting through the next few weeks while my husband is disabled and I struggle to maintain his health, the house, the kids and my sanity? All the while, trying not to contaminate myself with gluten? Advice is more than welcomed.

Hugs,

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment