Wednesday, January 19, 2011

White Fish with Lemon Butter Sauce

Fish always intimidates me.  I don't know why.  Maybe it is because I am scared of overcooking an expensive piece of protein.  I don't like the smell, but I do like eating most fish.  Every once in awhile I can get over myself and prepare fish for my family cause they LOVE it, especially my husband. 

Here is a recipe that I, once again, adapted from the queen, Martha Stewart.  I use just about any white fish that is ranked as best choice or good alternatives in the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch list.  Most recently I used Cod, wild-caught in the Pacific.   I have also made this with chicken and vegetable broths.   We like it best with the wine, and the alcohol cooks away, but if you are concerned, broth is an option. 


White Fish with Lemon Butter Sauce
1 lb white fish
1/2 C white wine or broth
2 lemons (1 very thinly sliced, seeds removed, and 1 juiced)
1/2 tsp dried (or 1/2 Tbs fresh, minced) dill weed
Salt and pepper, to taste
2-3 Tbs butter

Season fish with salt and pepper.   Pour wine into a large skillet.  Put fish into pan and cover with the thin slices of lemon.  Bring the wine to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer the fish for about 5-7 min (folded sole may take as little as 3 min) until it reaches desired doneness.  Transfer fish to a plate and sprinkle with dill.  Bring liquid back to a boil and reduce by half (about 2 minutes), add lemon juice and remove sauce from the heat.   Add butter to sauce and whisk until it is melted.  This will slightly thicken the sauce, give it a silky texture and amazing flavor.  Serve fish with a couple of spoonfuls of the sauce over the top.  Yum!

Enjoy!
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment